Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Copying Super8 Films

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Blindowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 1st, 2001
    Posts
    20
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    I saw a website with instructions for building a low end type of optical printer to copy existing super 8 films by photographing them one frame at a time with a super 8 camera & macro lens. I also seem to remember Roger saying that the Workprinter has this capability (to project single frame). My question is doesn't a super 8 cartridge have a certain amount of film that isn't actually used at the beginning so that the cartridge can be loaded in any light without over exposing or fogging the film? If I am right how do I know how many frames to click off with the camera before I am actually filming? I want to capture as many frames as possible when duplicating. Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member rollemfilm's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 1st, 2000
    Posts
    437
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    you might consider sending your film to a lab to be copied. unless you want to manipulate the frame rate and do zooms, ect, ect, you can get a real good 1:1 copy at yale:
    www.yalefilmandvideo.com
    the price is good too. about what you would pay for stock and processing.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member BolexPlusx's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2002
    Posts
    369
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Blindowl raises an issue I wonder about some times; could the workprinter be used to copy super-8 onto super-8?

  4. #4
    Inactive Member 8th Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9th, 2001
    Posts
    112
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I dont see why the work printer couldn't be used for this sort of thing.
    I don't think Yale can do contact prints of Super 8. I could be wrong but I think 16 is the smallest guage you can do with it.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member rollemfilm's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 1st, 2000
    Posts
    437
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yes, Yale does offer contact prints on super8. Reversal only.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Look into Monaco Interformat Labs in San Francisco too. They do relly nice work.

    Good Luck

  7. #7
    Inactive Member MovieStuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2001
    Posts
    847
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yes, you can use the WorkPrinter as an optical printer. It does not care what sort of camera peers into its gullet as long as it has at least a 10x or better zoom. Now, the lamp it uses is not appropriate for film copying as its color temperature is way too low; okay for video though. If you use the WorkPrinter, you would want to remove the rear cover and the bulb. Then use something like a standard Kodak slide projector with an empty slide mount in place. This would be focused on the internal reflective diffusion panel of the WorkPrinter and will provide ample, color correct light for copying reversal super 8 or regular 8mm film to 16mm or other super 8mm cameras. The camera should have an electronic release of some kind that can be triggered by the WorkPrinter's internal contact switch.

    Roger

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •